Pages

Tuesday 24 August 2010

'Build-a-Burger' Sweets.



I purchased a packet of 'Build a Burger' sweets from Tesco on a whim. A tasty, tasty whim. Alas, all was not what it seemed.

As the packet shows a picture of a particularly happy burger and the name says 'build a burger', I presumed that it would contain tasty jellied ingredients which could be stacked to make a delicious hamburger-looking treat. Unfortunately the contents were far from adequate so I fired off an email to Tesco customer services to let them know this.

Dear Tesco Customer Services.



I purchased a packet of Tesco 'Build a Burger' jelly sweets from a store today and I would like to declare that I am really not happy with the product.


The packaging depicts a burger on the front. A bun, a slab of brown (I presume beef), cheese, tomato and lettuce. Judging from the name and this picture, I presumed that I would be able to build a mini jelly burger out of various jelly ingredients. How wrong I was.


On inspection of the jellies there's a top half of the bun, lettuce shaped green jelly, tomato shaped red jelly and cheese shaped yellow jelly. Each of the jellies that represents the filling have the bottom half of the bun incorporated into them. I searched through the packet and emptied the contents out but I could not find what I always assume is the main bit in a burger...the meat. Unless it was just this particular bag of sweets that had the jelly meat cruelly omitted, I just cannot understand why Tesco would deem it normal to not include the main ingredient. It's commercial suicide.


I must also add that I am unhappy with the amount of each ingredient. As you can see from this photo....




 
Five lots of lettuce.
Six top buns.
One cheese.
Eight tomato.


I guess too much was expected when I was thought that there would be an equal number of pieces. Seeing as there are fourteen bottom bun halves, why are there only six top halves? It defies sense and must have been the work of a lunatic. I suppose you could argue that two of the filling jellies could be put underneath the top bun and you would have six complete burgers (minus the meat obviously, sigh) but this is a stupid argument as there would be two bottom buns in each burger. Are Tesco really telling children that that much bread is good for you? I should hope not as Watchdog would jump right on your case.


As I'm not really a moaning person, I like to give constructive feedback which is why I include the following picture. I built my own mini burger just to give your Tesco sweet scientists a general idea on just what it should look like. Note the detail and inclusion of a nice bit of succulent beef. I used the original buns as I don't deem them to be part of the problem.



I hope you will take all of this on board and not produce such a shoddy and confused product in the future.


Thank you.


Dean Pascoe.
I figured that would have them quaking in their boots but would also give Tesco adequate scope to improve upon their product in the future. How right I was....

          Dear Dean,



Thank you for your email.


Firstly, I’d like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you. Please let me assure you that we always try to respond to our customers' queries in a timely manner and I’m sorry that due to high volumes of contact, this has not happened on this occasion.


I'm very sorry to hear that your 'Build a Burger' didn't have the amount of each sweets or the main ingredient that you expected. I appreciate how disappointing this must have been for you.


However, our suppliers try hard to make sure that the right amount of each ingredient is included in the product. Because the product includes several ingredients, sadly, it is possible for the mix to vary.

Further to this, if you could reply with your address details, and also the bar code of the product, I'd be happy to send you £3.00 gesture of good will on a money card, to spend how you please. I hope you accept this with my best intentions.


Also, I've told our Supplier about this and they assured me that they'll do everything they can to make sure this doesn't happen again.


Thank you for letting me know about this. I hope that despite your experience, you'll continue to shop with us.


If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES********.


Kind Regards


(Name removed....because I can)
Customer Service Manager
Tesco Customer Service

£3! Three pounds sterling! I would work out how many packs of 'build a burger' sweets that can buy me but I didn't check the price when I bought them due to my enthusiasm. I will be using this unexpected windfall to purchase any many bags as possible so I can do a count as to the ratio of jellied ingredients within. If Tesco don't up their game....well.....I'll take this to the Supreme Court. Of JUSTICE.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely classic. I don't know how I missed this entry last time I was here. Personally I don't think the response from TESCO is good enough as it doesn't really address the key issue because I am sure that if you bought another pack something simialr would happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' it, HBLC! You have Tesco teetering, another nudge and it could be all over for them.

    ReplyDelete